Saturday, April 18, 2009

First Post

In my first post i wanted to go over what I have done as far as researching and interviews and also give a brief overview of what i have planned for the next few weeks . For my first interview I went over to the Kids Matter offices to interview a woman named Susan who works closely with foster children through the CASA program. It was in this interview where I began to develop an interest in the effects that the foster system has on a child's mental health. Susan, who works with foster children on a daily basis, informed me that the most prevalent issue with these children is anger management. Through research that I have done since the interview I have learned that while many children in the system deal with anger problems anywhere between 40-80% of children in the system have a mental health disorder. Many of these disorders even require psychiatric treatment. I have posted my first link to my page so please take a look at it. It is a journal article from CASA and has a lot of useful information about mental health issues in foster children. Hopefully sometime in the next week i will be interviewing a mental health professional who deals directly with the foster kids. I will be posting to this page frequently in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment