Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Lack of Mental Health Training

Through my recent research, I have encountered multiple articles by CASA and medical professionals that claim that there is a lack of training among mental health professionals as well foster parents. Foster parents are the most affected by the lack of training because they usually don't have any formal training in dealing with mental health issues. I have also posted a web page that deals specifically with ways to help foster parents deal with these issues. There are also specific case studies done by CASA in the first link I posted. Hopefully in the upcoming week i will hopefully be able to interview a mental health professional that deals with foster children. Only 3% of mental health professionals are trained to deal with foster children. Therefore, interviewing one of these rare individuals will surely add to my knowledge and research on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment